Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 10, 2011


I've been at the MTC for three days now. I may forget how to speak English after learning all this Spanish. Things have been pretty good. I got my package and Dear Elder last night, thanks for the pillowcase and fish. There are 11 elders in my district and only three of us didn't go to BYU, but I guess I told you that in the letter I sent. Sorry about the bill, I didn't really have a choice, they took my paper and stuck a needle in my arm.

My companions names are Elder Peacock and Elder Booher, Elder Booher just joined our companionship yesterday because he moved up from basic Spanish to Intermediate. Elder Peacock is from Kaysville and Elder Hooer is from Arizona. They're both pretty cool.

The first day was really crazy. I went with Elder Tucker and he took my luggage and I went in a room where they gave me my tag and a card for my laundry and food and stuff. Then he took me to my room and left the stuff there. When he picked up my suitcase to go up the stairs the handle broke on the big suitcase. Then he took me to my classroom and left to do his own thing, and I was with my district. They're all pretty cool, and we get along well. Only Elder Peacock and I are going to Puerto Rico but two other companionships are going to the Dominican Republic so they'll come with us at the end of our three weeks. The first meeting we had was with the MTC president, not a general authority but it was good.

I wish I had a toothbrush holder and my watch broke, so that was a bummer, it's really nice to have a watch because I don't have a phone with the time or anything, also I think I was supposed to have a line of authority but I don't remember hearing that. I think I can get everything else at the bookstore here. I did need a hymnbook but it was only about 3 dollars, and the other books are just if I want to use them to study so I might buy Jesus the Christ. We get a discount here.

The classes here are really cool, we focus a lot on concentrating on the needs of the investigator and teaching them what will help them come to Christ. We have a progressing investigator named Berta who we are supposed to teach for 2 weeks I think. It's a really cool experience becuase even though we know she isn't a real investigator, we have a whole background on her and we are teaching her the lessons. We had our first appointment with her yesterday and we had a whole plan on what we were going to teach but it went a whole different direction but it went well anyway. My teacher is Mr. Barnard's cousin so that is really cool, he even reminds me of him a little bit. The language is going pretty well. It was really helpful to go to Chile for those two weeks this summer. It's made me a lot more able to have conversations with people.

The food isn't bad. It's about the same as the Heritage Center at the U. I have seen so many people that I've known. Neider, Landon Bowerbank, Steve Durtschi, Kyle Tucker, Blake Dastrup, Brycen Bigelow, and two sisters from my ward up at the U. Those are who I can remember now. It's like there was a big party here without me knowing it because I have more friends here now than there were at home. The days here are really long because we get up at 6:30 and go to bed at 10:30, but I love it here. The Spirit is really strong and I'm learning a lot. We watched a talk by Elder Holland that he gave to new missionaries a few years ago and it was really powerful. Anyways, I love you guys, and I will talk to you later.

Elder Duclos

PS today is partly a P day because we didn't have one our first week but my real P day is Thursday so that's when I'll usually email.

No comments:

Post a Comment