Monday, March 19, 2012

March 17, 2012


Elder Visker and I are still together in Juncos. I'm excited because we've found some great people to teach. There's a new elder from Roy Utah in our district now too. I saw Elder Newman's picture up in the mission office a few weeks ago, and I recognized him but I'm not sure where he is now. Tell Evan good luck, and to stay away from all the cougars in Columbia.
This week has been great, and we've found some people with some good potential. Edgardo and Givendolee are progressing really well. We just taught them about the law of chastity using the family proclamation. The promises and declarations in that proclamation are so powerful. It made them really excited, and they committed to getting married. But, they're moving. I don't know if I mentioned this but we found out a little while ago that they're going to be moving to Humacao. It's close to Juncos, and the elders that work there are in our district but they'll be moving any time now. Probably within the next week or so. So now we're working on making sure the transistion goes well for them and they keep going just as strong in Humacao.
We also had a really great lesson yesterday, one of the best of my mission so far. It was with a guy named Edwin that we contacted a few days ago. While we were talking to him he said he believed in God but he didn't believe in the Bible or Jesus Christ. We didn't have time to talk about any more than that but we studied in Preach my Gospel about what it says to do to teach those without a Christian background. He is really sincere and has a lot of faith in God, and a strong relationship with Him. Because of that the principles from the message of the restoration made sense to him, and he could see the truthfulness of the message. During the lesson I could feel the Spirit reminding me of principles I'd read that helped us tesify of the importance of Jesus Christ. One of the things it says to do is to bear testimony about why you have chosen to follow Jesus Christ in your life. There was a perfect opportunity to do that during the lesson and the Spirit was so strong. He really felt it, and he recognized too that what he felt was from God. He was also excited to read the Book of Mormon. He has doubts about scripture because he says his relationship with God has been something really personal and he has a hard time seeing how scripture could apply to his life but he said he was willing to read and pray to ask Heavenly Father if it was true. It was a great lesson and so rewarding. I know this is God's work. I know He prepares His children to hear the gospel and I love being a part of that. The Church is true.
It's been great. Puerto Rico is still hot. It's just always hot, but I'm pretty used to it by now. We're still waiting for the neighbor's mangos to get ripe (that's part of the reason I was excited to stay in Juncos). I love it here. I learn so much every day about how the Spirit works, and how much our Heavenly Father loves all of us.
I love you. I'm glad everything's good back at home.
Elder Duclos

No comments:

Post a Comment